Sunday, February 3, 2013

Hopes and Dreams

Aaliyah was referred to a program called Birth to Three, which is an early developmental program offered in our state. Our PT is an amazing lady who has been helping us, despite the fact that at this age you can only do so much. Aaliyah will be 5 months on Thursday and than next month we reevaluate our goals. They call it Individual Family Service Plans before the IFSP they have an exercise called Hopes and Dreams that you go over.

First you go over hopes and dreams for your child in six months, than your family right now, than the family in six months. You set a six month goal because it really is a step by step road you are taking. If you look to far ahead it can be overwhelming, and honestly you want to work on the right now. What can I do for my child in this moment, what things should they be doing. I am a, b, c planner. I need to do A to get to B and than B to get to C.  I map things out on how I want them done, when I want them done etc. Well kids don't work that way, they do B before A and possibly D  before C just because that is what they want to do.

In some things Aaliyah is way ahead in others behind. Her gross motor skills she excels at, fine motor skills not so much. We have been concerned about her arms and hands but little by little she is using them. She even sucked her thumb for the first time. Funny how some people dread it and we were thrilled. Just waiting for her to do it again. She blows raspberries every once in awhile and it makes me smile. Most parents are sad when they hit that next milestone, you hear a lot of them say enjoy this time. For us every next milestone means one more thing she CAN do.

Another thing we are concerned about is her vision, we don't know how it will be affected. The eye itself is very well developed minus being near sighted and having a slight stigmatism. I am not sure exactly what it is I believe it is the optical nerve going from the eye to the brain is what we are concerned about. We are sure she can see something the question is how much. I will touch more on that next month after her next ophthalmologist appointment. For now we just wait. (My not so favorite phrase.) 

She has a NICU follow up visit on Wednesday that I will post about after. Also a Nero appointment next month that I will update. That is our life appointment after appointment.

Back to Hopes and Dreams, my hope and dream is that my girl lives a long and productive life as possible. That she is able to live the best life possible.
















4 comments:

  1. Love you guys! Praying for great things to happen in her life!

    Pennie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know its trying to have to sit and wait to see if your daughter will be able to do one task or another. And I can fully appreciate the worry that you and your family is going through. When my girls were younger, I worried all the time about those things as well. (I admit though that I was always told they were 100% healthy and nothing wrong with them from all the doctors, but a mother always worries!!!) I look back at those days now and laugh, they have come so far!! Yes, they are still behind on a few things, but overall, they are right where they should be. I say all this to try and get you to take a look back, if I remember correctly, you guys were not even sure if she would make it. (I really hope I am not mixing up people on that one) In her 5 months of life, she has persevered and pushed through so much!!! I have no doubt that she will continue to amaze and astonish you with the things that she does. She might not be on the schedule as other babies are one, but she is one her schedule! And as you mentioned before babies do things their own way!! Your doing everything right for her!! Love to you Alicia!!!
    Savanna Nicholson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always try to keep in mind what she can do and just that she is here. You are right we were told worse case scenario she may not live long.Thank God she is doing very well.

      Delete